KOBE BEAN BRYANT, 41

KOBE BEAN BRYANT, 41
DEAR BASKETBALL Kobe Bryant's legacy went beyond basketball, he became an icon of a generation in need of an identity
15 July 2017

READ THROUGH Sounds more like work for me lately
I'M STILL ON MY HAITUS. For two years I have been dealing with words almost all the time, constructing and deconstructing and constructing them again nonstop; and then all of a sudden decided to take a break from it. I guess I used up all the creative powers that I felt like I had nothing to give. That, of course, was purely imaginative. I doubt your mind will ever tire, your body, of course, will, but your mind will always be out there. 

I decided to take a break because I felt like I have been writing the same shit all over again. Admittedly, I did not do some reading while I was steep into that writing stuff. Unlike life when giving has its own rewards, in writing, however, you can’t just give all the time, you have to be greedy, too. You need some infilling, so to speak, and that infilling takes in the form of reading. Needless to say, when you don’t back your writing up with the necessary reading, that’s when the unraveling begins.

That’s when redundancy and triteness and banality creep in. And it takes away the fun, too. You begin to feel the hardness of these words, how heavy they can be to your mind. So you resort to your usual stuff, your favorite words, your clichés, but they only imprison your writing all the more. Now if you’re not sensitive or aware of it, you might fall into its ditch and be buried into oblivion, as in the case of a writer’s block, and that all starts with neglecting to read.  

I’m not reading that much still. Like the rest of us, I prefer skimming through a book at some clean, well-lighted bookshop, smelling them even than going through the whole nine yards of dissecting meanings behind these great works of art. Reading sounds more like a lot of work to me lately. But I have to read. Sooner or later, I have to go through that, especially when I’m writing a subject that is quite foreign to me. That explains why when I stopped reading a few months ago I made the conscious effort of taking a break from writing.

I’m still on my “vacation”, though. I hope that when I do come back and start writing again, I’ll be able to do it with more power, more life; this time not undermining the importance of doing some reading along the way. I don’t intend to stay on this godforsaken hiatus. A write not writing is a crime against humanity. I feel like I cheated a lot of people knowing that I can write and be of use to your fellow men. That sounds messianic at some point, but what the hell, that’s my way of making a difference in life. To hell with Trump!  

0 (mga) komento: